The holiday on Monday is an all-day festival in New Dundee, southwest of Kitchener.
It starts with breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and goes through to fireworks at dusk.
The event also includes a car show, town-wide garage sale, kids shows, local bands, midway rides and a parade at 1:30 p.m. at Doug Fisher Memorial Park.
Be aware, there will be road closures during the fireworks.
Spring fireworks displayIf you can wait a week, the Elora Lions are hosting their spring fireworks display on Saturday, May 27 at the Grand River Raceway in Elora.
The fireworks begin at dusk, but the gates to the raceway open at 6 p.m. and there will be pre-fireworks entertainment by local musicians and dancers. There's a minimum $5 donation per person with proceeds going to Elora Lions Projects, the diabetic wing of new of Groves Memorial Community Hospital in Fergus.
Host your own showYou could also take a drive to see fireworks – there are displays in Milton, Hamilton, London and Toronto – or you can opt to buy some and set them off yourself.
But there are rules about who can use them – no children – when you can buy them and when you can set them off.
Waterloo – low-hazard recreational fireworks permitted, but must be used outside in a safe manner. The fireworks can be set off on the seven days immediately before and after Victoria Day (also Canada Day, Lunar New Year's and Diwali). No flash crackers, bottle skyrockets or stink bombs.
How to handle fireworksAll the bylaws indicate safety measures everyone should take when setting off fireworks at home.
- Store fireworks in cool, dry place.
- Only use fireworks outdoors. Choose a clear, open area.
- Do not let children use fireworks.
- Keep an extinguisher or water nearby (garden hose or bucket).
- Light one firework at a time.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then putting them in a trash can. Wait 30 minutes to dispose of those fireworks safely.
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Don't try to re-light duds.
- Don't throw or point fireworks at other people.